Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 26 Jan 1997 to 27 Jan 1997

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 26 Jan 1997 to 27 Jan 1997
From: Sabahat Ashraf <sabahat_ashraf -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 19:10:49 EST

On Jan 29, 3:53pm, Peter Gold wrote:
> Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 26 Jan 1997 to 27 Jan 1997
> Bob and Ray had a sketch about the guy who wrote copy for bottle cap

If we *are* discussing this line of work, while interning at the Boston office
of an "Design Consultancy" [they help businesses (re)design everything from
paper handouts to interfaces to consumer products], there was this project in
which a major kitchen and bathroom products maker bought out another and wanted
the whole line of products -- some 331-odd if I remember right -- from the new
company to be relabelled in its own image. And redone with text in *two*
languages. You try writing

Heavy Duty Dish Brush
Real Tampico Bristles
Wooden Handle
Made in China
TeflonTM-Safe
UPC Code no *&%$# -at- $#$#%#%^&

in two languages on a quarter inch by one inch label. [Ended up about 3 lines
on the label -- name country of origin, UPC]

When I went back to school, my colleagues gave me one toilet bowl brush [which
had given us hours of fun playing cricket in 15 ft by 15 ft room we worked in]
and one dish cleaning brush. This last deserves mention: it was about 4 inches
high and had a detergent reservoir in the handle. It was initially named Mr.
Clean or something, but thankfully discontinued by the time we got to work on
the line of products. It had about 15 "graphical elements" on the 3 by 5" piece
of cardboard it had as its packaging!

Sabahat.

--
735 Elm Ave Apt 5B sabahata -at- warren -dot- mentorg -dot- com
Teaneck, NJ 07666 www.rpi.edu/~ashrafs

Why can't we all just ... get along?