Re: Having Writers Block

Subject: Re: Having Writers Block
From: d r <writeagain -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 11:40:12 EST

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997 10:19:14 -0800 Linda Castellani <castle -at- CRL -dot- COM>
writes:
>On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Yvonne DeBellotte wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need some information since I am new to the freelance writers
>> scene.
>>
>> 2. Also what is a 'tear sheet'? Is it the same as a writing
>sample?

I am familiar with this term. I don't know if it is only used for
freelancers (which I have been from time to time) but I think that
somehow it is almost used as a "test" to see if you've been around. How
do I know? The first time someone used that term on me I asked and was
told, "Obviously you're not published if you have to ask that."
Interesting thing was that I had been published already and had them.

Another time, when I was doing stringer work, the editor needed more
writers and put out an ad for writer/editors. He was laughing and let me
in on this little joke. It was his way of knowing whether the people were
experienced if they knew the lingo (I have news for him, I 'm experienced
but I don't know all the lingo), so he asked them for "tear sheets" and
was laughing because they brought in typed samples of their work on paper
with a ragged edge (as if it was torn from a sheet of paper).

Sometimes I think that that term is used by old newspaper people or
people who want to hire editors/writers. Have no industry smarts but want
to look like they do.

What's wrong with saying >have you ever been published nationally? Can I
see proof that you have< or something like that?

D.R.