Re: Having Writers Block

Subject: Re: Having Writers Block
From: Mark Pundurs <mark -at- INSTALLSHIELD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 10:57:05 -0600

David Demyan <dbdemyan -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET> wrote:

>Yvonne DeBellotte wrote:

>> I need some information since I am new to the freelance writers
>> scene.
>>
>> 1. Where can I get an estimated price list so I know what I can
>> charge for various types of writing?--snip--

><soapbox>
>Let me see.... How do you spell "anti-trust lawsuit"? This gets to
>me, I'm sorry, Yvonne, for leaping at you like this, but you are
>supposed to come into freelancing wanting to compete. Please don't
>ask me for the keys to my office so you can riffle through my files
>and see how much I charge. Get out there and compete.
></soapbox>

How is asking about competitors' pricing 'not competing?'
If the manager of Yvonne's Grocery goes into David's Grocery
to check his prices, is she not competing? If you and Yvonne
both bid on a job, and the client asked Yvonne 'How can you ask
$N when David only asks $0.8N,' is that 'anti-competitive?'

>[...] just
>maybe someone else on the list will actually provide you with
>some information that will work against fair competition in this
>business.

How does "fair competition" depend on ignorance of
competitors' pricing?

Mark Pundurs - Lead Technical Writer
mark -at- installshield -dot- com
Phone: 847-619-7636, Fax: 847-240-9120
InstallShield Corp.
900 National Parkway, Suite 125
Schaumburg, IL 60173-5108 USA
http://www.installshield.com

International Editions of InstallShield3 now Available!