Re[2]: Comparison of web vendor prices

Subject: Re[2]: Comparison of web vendor prices
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 15:52:00 -0600

The weirdest part is the charge for the unique URL. What exactly what
is the vendor selling? A unique domain name?

That would be *my* guess, as well. And it's the part that raises a warning
flag to me. If that's actually what it is, you're dealing with someone who's
potentially clueless about the 'net, which makes me wonder what kind of help
you're going to get when things get sticky.

One more thing to consider: The cost of registering a domain name is $100
for two years, then $50 per year after that, so he's charging you a serious
markup for a unique domain name. (Again, if that's what "unique URL" is
supposed to mean. Like the man said, *every* URL that works is unique; if it
isn't then it can't be reached. I doubt he's going to charge you an extra
$200 just to make it work. "Let's see, that'll be $400 for the two web
pages, and another $200 if you want anyone to be able to see them.") But
then, that may be the usual markup for domain names in CA.

With any ISP, the key feature is availability. How much traffic do you
expect to draw? Can they sustain that kind of traffic without dimming the
lights? If something goes wrong with your site access (via router problem or
whatever) will they find it and fix first, or wait for you to complain?
(That's where the confusion between URL and domain namemakes me nervous; if
they don't know *that,* what else don't they know?

You're talking about putting PDF files on it. I'm afraid I missed the
original message (isn't even in my trash, so I didn't delete it by mistake)
so I didn't see all the terms of the deal, but look for "bytes served"
limitations. I've seen a few of those contracts, and some keen interest in
your files could drive the total over the limit real fast, and then things
get *real* expensive.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224