Re: Comparison of web vendor prices

Subject: Re: Comparison of web vendor prices
From: Bill Bledsoe <bill -at- ENVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 14:56:20 -0600

David Blyth wrote:
<SNIPPED TO PASS THE BANDWIDTH SAVINGS ON TO YOU>

> Every URL is unique, otherwise you'd conflict with someone else's
> Web page.
>
> > So, for around $1000, we get a nicely setup web site for about two
> > dozen of our manuals (all pdfs). Then it's a monthly $120.
>
> This sounds like a little much for San Diego, but you're getting a lot of
> disk space and maintenance.
>
> The weirdest part is the charge for the unique URL. What exactly what is
> the vendor selling? A unique domain name?

I'd guess that you get to register a domain name. That's about the going rate for
that. It is $150US to InterNIC and then about $50US to get a "virtual server" set
up. Again, YMMV on the second part of the price... but the first part is set in
stone.

cheers!
Bill Bledsoe
Technical Communicator
St. Louis, MO
bill -at- envision -dot- com or intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com
webmaster: St. Louis Chapter - STC <www.stc.org/region6/stl>

"The Internet is the first thing that
humanity has built that humanity doesn't
understand," Eric Schmidt, CTO Sun 10/18/96