PDF on SCO Unix

Subject: PDF on SCO Unix
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 11:08:35 GMT

Sorry for the late response - I'm still catching up after Christmas.

Jonathan Leer writes:

Rumor has it that SCO UNIX does not support PDF files.

A client of mine has Framemaker-based documentation and wanted to put =
the manuals up on SCO UNIX machines as PDF files. Apparently Adobe =
Acrobat is not supported on SCO UNIX. Subsequently, the client is =

looking for an alternative to PDF files for providing online docs. Are =
there any tools for converting the Framemaker documents to troff man =
pages?

Or are there other products with reasonavbly priced (license) viewers?
<<

Sadly, Acrobat's claims to be multi-platform are far from accurate. When I
last investigated, there was only one UNIX platform that was likely to be
supported within the next two ears (but that was a year ago) and it wasn't
what we wanted. Do you really need exact representation of the paper pages
on screen?

You certainly don't want to go to tron man pages - there are two better
alternatives:

1. Hyperhelp: This is very similar to winhelp, and compiles the same .rtf
source code to produce a help file that is very similar to a windows help
file. The viewer is freely distributable, but the compiler is several
thousand dollars per workstation - too expensive for our needs at the time,
so I never tried it.

I did try a demo version on RS/6000 AIX Windows, which had source and
complied files, and the viewer. I compiled the same source with the windows
help compiler, and the results were very similar in appearance.

2. A cheaper, and probably better option is to convert to HTML. There are
web browsers for just about every platform, and you can ship the files to
view locally.

Iain Harrison
iharrison -at- sct -dot- co -dot- uk