Market Area Terminology

Subject: Market Area Terminology
From: Tom Hansen <tomh -at- EXECPC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 18:10:18 -0600

Hi,

I'm working on developing a real estate application, and I'm wondering about some terminology we are using in the system.  Thus, I thought perhaps this would be a good place to post a question.

One area I'm particularly questioning is a feature in which the user may define markets in which their property listings exist.  We have decided to allow three levels of "nesting" of these market areas, and are tentatively calling them "Market Regions", "Market Areas", and "Market Sub-Areas".  Typically, "Market Regions" define broad metropolitan areas, "Market Areas" define suburbs or municipalities, and "Market Sub-Areas" define things like zip codes, neigborhoods, etc.

We would like to use somewhat "generic" names, because we have different users that want to use these market segmentation tables in different ways.  I suppose we could call the tables "Market Metros", "Market Areas", and "Market Neighborhoods", but that might be too specific.

Is there any type of standard terminology from the field of market research, for example, or real estate, that would cover these concepts?

Thanks.

--
Tom Hansen
tomh -at- execpc -dot- com