Re: job shop--non-compete clause??

Subject: Re: job shop--non-compete clause??
From: Rebecca Phillips <Rebecca -at- QRONUS -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 10:23:06 +0200

>>>She wants me to sign what she says is a standard "non-compete" clause
>>>before she even thinks of introducing me to a client. Effectively it would
>>>bar me from working for a company she "introduced" me to "directly or
>>>indirectly" for up to a year after I leave her employ.

This sounds fair to me. In this industry it is very easy to break off a
relationship with a technical writing company and start up your own,
bringing their customers with you. Effectively, the company is doing the
marketing for you and wants to protect that investment. I know of one
case where a writer interviewed for a freelance job through a technical
writing company, then made a direct agreement with the customer, cutting
out the company which had introduced them. This was just a plain
dishonest way for him to generate business by stealing customers from an
established technical writing company. (They took him to court, of
course.)

Usually, if a company you freelanced for wants to hire you, they can
reach an arrangement with your employer and pay a headhunters fee for
you. Most contracting firms will accept a fee from the employer in
return for releasing you from this clause.

Rebecca

Rebecca M. Phillips
Documentation Manager
Qronus Interactive Ltd.