on-line help tools - question

Subject: on-line help tools - question
From: w -dot- schoo -at- NOLDUS -dot- NL
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 16:43:29 +0000

Dear fellow technical writers,

Just one question for you which probably has been asked may times
before. But until now our company has not used a real on-line help
tool. And we have to switch to one. I know there is a lot of
knowledge on this list and would like to use this knowledge. Because
of the fact that this topic has been discussed many times before, I
would prefer replies to my own e-mail address (w -dot- schoo -at- noldus -dot- nl).
Thank you very much in advance.

Here is the question:

Up to now we have been using an on-line help authoring tool with not
much tricks. This means that we have a very simple on-line help with
mostly just text, some icons and ofcourse all the abilities to jump
to other screens. But we are now looking for an on-line help
authoring tool that gives us more possibilities. I have heard of the
fact that you can use Word for that but do not know what it can do
exactly. I have also heard of Robohelp. But is that a tool that can
do it all? We have to make on-line help for Windows 3.1(1) as well as
Windows 95. I hope someone can give me advice. If you have any
questions, I am very willing to answer them, I am very willing to
learn more about this topic.

Greetings,

Wineke Schoo
Technical Writer

Noldus Information Technology b.v.
Costerweg 5
P.O. Box 268
6700 AG Wageningen
The Netherlands

Phone: +31-(0)317-497677
Fax: +31-(0)317-424496
E-mail: w -dot- schoo -at- noldus -dot- nl
WWW: http://www.diva.nl/noldus/