Customer wants soft copy of document

Subject: Customer wants soft copy of document
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- ACCENT -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 20:10:23 -0500

I work for a company whose resellers would like to receive the soft copy of
the documents that we (the technical writers) produce. They claim they would
like to use them as a template for their customer's specific needs.

Has anyone ever worked with a company that has a policy on releasing soft
copies of manuals to its resellers or customers? What kind of policy is it?
How would you avoid potential piracy? Do you let your resellers edit your
documents and release them to customers with your name on them? What about
quality issues? Where do you draw the line between pleasing the customer and
maintaining control over the design and quality of the manuals you produce?