Document Change Management System

Subject: Document Change Management System
From: Maureen Gordon <mgordon -at- MAILHOST -dot- UWI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:21:48 -0800

Hi, I'm posting this for a friend. She's not on the list right now, so
please mail your replies to her. (Address is larab -at- simba -dot- ca) I'd love it if
you'd cc the list if you think it's worth it, because I'd like to hear the
replies, too. Thanks.
----------

Hi, Need some advice about managing changes/corrections to multiple
documents/projects. The current situation is we have a budding
department of two writers (plan to double by next year) who manage
documentation (including online) for two distinct products, one each.
Bugs in docs are reported in a problem tracking system for software,
and the occasional circled in red pen page lands on a desk. As we
grow and get more writers and projects, the "I'll do mine" approach to
making document fixes/changes won't work....and using the bug tracking
system only works if developers, etc. remember to send the bug to the
doc team. So, does anyone have a system they like that is scaleable,
predictable, easy to use that doesn't involve lots of electronic
forms.

How does the system handle (1) easy bug fixes (2)
enhancements/additions (3) style decisions (4) substantive changes
(i.e. turf the help and write a tutorial)? What forum does your team
use for making decisions, how do you evaluate what a change (such as
readability - font change, change template) will cost?

******** email larab -at- simba -dot- ca

Maureen Gordon

UWI Unisoft Wares Inc.
email: mgordon -at- uwi -dot- com