Re: TW and education (was Re: Houston Area Jobs)

Subject: Re: TW and education (was Re: Houston Area Jobs)
From: "Sporleder, Kevin" <kevinsp -at- CRT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 09:24:00 CST

Jane Bergen wrote:

"With all due respect to Robin and the countless others that Dave
Locke seems to have set off.... I think this was the whole POINT of
his message: that many of today's tech writers were GIVEN their
jobs, but tomorrow (not now, not ten years ago...) degrees will be
required. The industry is moving in that direction, like it or not."

I disagree that people without degrees are "GIVEN" jobs. Apparently, people
with degrees are presumed to have earned their positions, while those
without degrees are not professionals.

I have worked with many people both with and without degrees. Some with
degrees could barely write their way out of a paper bag. Possessing a degree
does not automatically show ability to write or to get a job done. A degree
also does not necessarily show willingness to learn or to make sacrifices.

I have no problem with employers who consider degrees when making hiring
decisions. However, employers miss out on many qualified people when they
make a degree an absolute requirement.

Kevin Sporleder