Re: TW and education (was Re: Houston Area Jobs)

Subject: Re: TW and education (was Re: Houston Area Jobs)
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 09:15:21 -0600

Eric J. Ray wrote:

> Guy et al are right -- this all gets back to (gasp)
> certification, but in the form of a degree. Frankly,
> I don't think that a degree in any way certifies
> competence.

It does, however, indicate that a person has pursued a formal course of
study over a period of several years. A college degree doesn't guarantee
writing competence, but I'd be more willing to give a chance to someone
who has the intellectual discipline necessary to complete a degree than
to someone who hasn't demonstrated such discipline.

I know this is flamebait, but I'll stick by my guns on this one.

Regards,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019