Re: DTP Shootout -Reply

Subject: Re: DTP Shootout -Reply
From: Christie Christopherson <chrisc -at- CACHE -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 23:22:45 -0700

NANCY KAMINSKI wrote:

> I'm glad Christie has had such luck with WP. My office, on the other hand,
> has had different results.

> WP 6.0 is the word processor of choice at my hospital, and I have yet to
> see any of the general users (computer programmers, business office,
> etc.) produce a decent-looking document. For casual users, WP is almost
> unusable. We have particular trouble with tables--getting them to sort and
> so on.

I'm sorry to hear about those problems. I must admit that I wasn't
satisfied with WPWin 6.0 because of its many quirks; however, WPWin 6.1
and now WordPerfect 7 have performed very well. Corel has done a
tremendous job with version 7.

> The only point I want to make here is that Word seems to be more
> accessible to the casual user. WP is very powerful, but it takes a long
> time to get to the point where using it is easy (at least here).

Another factor in this software "war" seems to be what program users
have learned on. I've used WP since version 4.1 and have seen it through
thick and thin on DOS, Windows, and Macintosh. You might say we've grown
up together. My relationship with Word has been hit and miss through the
years, and I haven't found it that easy to use.

It's a good thing we're not all alike; otherwise, this listserv would be
boring!

Christie