QUERY: ISO 9000

Subject: QUERY: ISO 9000
From: "Elaine R. Firestone" <elaine -at- CALVAL -dot- GSFC -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 13:37:22 -0500

Hi all! I'm being given the opportunity to go to ISO 9000 training here at
NASA (in-house course, apparently 4 days long). Goddard Space Flight
Center has to be ISO 9000 compliant by 1999. My questions are

1) what exactly _is_ ISO 9000 (again, I've heard of it _a lot_ but don't
really know what it is)? and

2) how prevalent are these standards in documentation now? do lots of
y'all use them? Is it a real marketable skill?

TIA.

elaine

Elaine R. Firestone
elaine -at- calval -dot- gsfc -dot- nasa -dot- gov
elaine -at- seawifs -dot- gsfc -dot- nasa -dot- gov