Re: DTP Shootout

Subject: Re: DTP Shootout
From: Christie Christopherson <chrisc -at- NED -dot- CACHE -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 00:04:45 -0700

Tim Altom wrote:

> Here we go again...Frame, PM, Word, WordPerfect (Is THAT product still on
> the market?)

WordPerfect is definitely still on the market and is my #1 choice for
word processing and DTP.

FYI--Corel Corp. now owns the WordPerfect product and has improved it
and marketed it since purchasing it from Novell. Perhaps they haven't
quite marketed it enough if users aren't sure the product still exists.
Corel Office 7 (Professional Edition) has nearly everything a freelance
editor would want. I also own Microsoft Office for the sake of some of
my clients, but if I want to be productive and efficient, I don't use
it.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I was working on a government proposal with
several other people (using PageMaker), and somehow the original and
backup PM files became unreadable. In just a few hours, I converted
everyone's draft files and compiled them into WordPerfect, including
graphics, and the finished product looked better than it did in PM. The
automatic ToC feature, styles, and other functions worked flawlessly,
enabling us to meet the deadline with a quality document in hand.

One last comment and then I'll quit. WordPerfect contains an Internet
Publisher, which enables users to save WordPerfect documents, including
graphics, to HTML and GIF formats with a couple of clicks.

Several people I know swear by WordPerfect; however, several others
prefer Word. Whatever people feel comfortable using is fine with me, but
I couldn't resist answering your question: (Is THAT product still on the
market?) since I use WordPerfect daily.

Happy holidays.

Christie Christopherson