Re: Word lists for reading levels?

Subject: Re: Word lists for reading levels?
From: John Kohl <sasjqk -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:18:34 GMT

In article <199611240218 -dot- SAA13601 -at- dfw-ix5 -dot- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com>, Kris Olberg
<kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM> writes:
|> The discussion (on TECHWR-L) of Latinisms prompts me to ask:
|>
|> Does anyone have access to a reference that lists the reading level (for
|> example, 8th grade, 10th grade, etc.) for words?
|>
|> Regards...Kris
|> ===================================
|> kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
|> kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com

I cited the book by Dale and O'Rourke in an earlier reply. Here are
some others that you may be interested in:

Carroll, John B., Peter Davies, and Barry Richman. _The American
Heritage Word Frequency Book_. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1971. [Ranks
87,000 words found in frequency counts of 5 million words.]

Dale, E., and J. O'Rourke. _The Living Word Vocabulary_. Elgin, IL:
Dome, 1976. "Lists meanings of words known at different grade levels."

Sakiey, E., and E. Fry. _3,000 Instant Words_. Providence, RI:
Jamestown Publishers, 1979. "The 3,000 most used words in English, both
in rank and in alpha order. The commonness of the variant forms (adding
s, ed, ness, etc.) is given for each word."

Thorndike, E.L., and I. Lorge. _The Teacher's Word Book of 30,000
Words_. New York: Teachers College, 1944. "The standard reference for
relative word frequencies, although Carroll, Davies, and Richman (1971)
is a more recent compilation."

Regards,

John Kohl