Manuals on the Web

Subject: Manuals on the Web
From: Sheldon Siegel <sheldon -dot- siegel -at- ATTWS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 10:43:00 PST

I've just finished writing a fairly large manual (150 pgs.) in WinWord. I
have 15 separate files, most of which are huge due to the large screen shots
on nearly every page.

I didn't create a Master Doc, no indexing, no tagging -- I entered and
checked (and rechecked) all my cross-references manually (yuk!).

Now I want to put the manual onto a Web page. I thought I'd use Internet
Assistant, since I have it already as part of Blue Sky's Web Office, to get
it into HTML, then tweak from there.

My initial thought was to use frames to set off the title/banner and have
icons for the main chapters listed down a vertical left frame. Then when
users clicked on a main chapter, they'd see the contents for that chapter at
the top of main frame, from which they could jump up and down within a
single html file within that frame. I thought I'd use up/down/home type
icons at the top of each page, down each file ...

Any thoughts? Any sample Web pages that have done a similar thing to which
you can point me?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (etc.) you may have,

Sheldon Siegel
sheldon -dot- siegel -at- attws -dot- com