Re: Macintosh Indexing Tool

Subject: Re: Macintosh Indexing Tool
From: Susan Holbert <susanh -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:47:37 -0500

I am a freelance indexer and indexing trainer. I didn't answer Tony's post
when I first saw it, because so few tech writers are interested in using the
tools that professional indexers use. Professional indexers create
"free-standing" indexes -- the index is a separate file, not embedded in the
document. The disadvantage of this type of tool is that you must enter page
numbers.

The advantage of these tools is that they make editing and revising an index
much easier. (Embedded indexing makes the editing process more difficult.)
Most professional indexers create an index using dedicated indexing software
and then embed tokens after they have completed the index. This requires
more typing (and thinking), but produces a much higher quality index. I'm
sure this will surprise many tech writers, but indexing requires the same
three stages as writing: organizing (=outline), writing (=first draft) and
revising (=editing). The editing stage takes at least 50% of the
professional indexer's time. I have listed the programs available for the
Mac below.

Tony, if you would like more info about indexing, feel free to contact me
directly.
To see a description of dedicated indexing software (for the PC), see my
home page.

Susan Holbert
"Training workshops and videos"

INDEXING SERVICES
24 Harris Steet
Waltham, MA 02154-6105
617-893-0514
susanh -at- world -dot- std -dot- com
http://www.abbington.com/holbert/index.html

Indexing software available for the Mac:

HyperIndex 5.0
Andre DeTeinne
Peirce Edition Project
IUPUI