Re: Writing British English

Subject: Re: Writing British English
From: Paul David Marvel <marvel -at- UDEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 07:23:26 -0500

Joy,

> I guess what I want to ask is there a REAL need to have 2 different
> manuals...one for Americans and one for english speakers over the ocean? Do

Besides the spelling differences you noted, there are also minor
differences in vocabulary, punctuation, and grammar.

I would say the decision whether to have one manual or two depends on the
topic and the audience. For computer documentation, the vocabulary should
be the same and the reader can easily overlook differences in punctuation
and grammar. However, if you are publishing a home-repair, auto-repair, or
some other manual for a general audience which contains vocabulary which
is quite different, you may want to issue two versions. Does the average
American know that a UK nonparallel spanner is a US pipe wrench? Probably
not, and they would probably choose to buy a manual they can more easily
understand.

Regards,

-paul, who actually prefers the Chilton guides for fixing his car,
which contain UK usage.

marvel -at- brahms -dot- udel -dot- edu