Re: How Narrow is a Software Doc Writer's Job?

Subject: Re: How Narrow is a Software Doc Writer's Job?
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 07:10:23 PST

Chris Stone writes:

> I address these questions to those on the list who were hired by software
> companies to write software documentaion.

> What other writing, besides the actual documentation, are you asked to do?
> Are you sometimes expected as the hired pen to draft in-house reports,
> correspondence, proposals?

It depends on the company. In some places, a job description is like
a straightjacket. Your employer tosses you into your padded cell and
never pays the slightest attention to your ravings.

At other places, people assume that you have valuable skills, and will
attempt to gain the benefit of them, job desription or no. Thus, if they
think you're a good writer, they'll want you to write stuff.

I was hired as a board-level hardware writer, and ended up documenting
board-level hardware, chip-level hardware, microcode, assembly language,
high-level languages, and systems, not to mention flyers, brochures,
proposals, reports, papers, articles, humor, stage skits, and annual reports.
I didn't even HAVE a job description.

Anyway, writing the same stuff over and over gets dull.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139