WARNING:Graphic_Language

Subject: WARNING:Graphic_Language
From: Edward Savitz <sg94cshj -at- DUNX1 -dot- OCS -dot- DREXEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 18:53:55 -0500

As we all know, writing technical documents has changed with the
technology. But so have _we_ as readers. When I first started teaching,
there were guidelines for proposals for courses.

Number of pages,
Materials required,
a day-by-day sample lesson plan
and the like.

Never were graphics or illustrations mentioned.

I recently received a style guide for proposals including the same topics
as above but with a _long_ list of requirements for graphic inclusions:

No illustration shall be smaller than one inch in either direction except
for bullets or other marking elements,

Screen captures of copyrighted materials must be labeled as such with the
appropriate copyright (C), registered (R), trade mark (TM) or service
mark (SM) symbols, etc.

The times, they are a-changin'

Ed Savitz
sg94cshj -at- post -dot- ocs -dot- drexel -dot- edu