Pagemaker 4,5,6

Subject: Pagemaker 4,5,6
From: Edward Savitz <sg94cshj -at- DUNX1 -dot- OCS -dot- DREXEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 22:52:25 -0500

Several members asked about PageMaker.

I have only taught Aldus Pagemaker version 4 at
Community College of Philadelphia for a few years and have seen it
improve with 5 and 6.

PageMaker 4 is still a fine standard publisher with graphic features
to satisfy the needs of the individual or the small business. PageMaker
5 and 6 have added "power steering" features and the ability to
translate more predictably from other DTPs and word processor formats.

I believe PM6 has audio capacity (embedded audio files) that works like Word
but I don't know about Video graphics. I adnit to still
preferring 4 or 5, not needing the "bells and whistles."

BTW, don't sell MS Word 7.0 for Win 95 short as a full-featured
publisher. It can do 90% of PM in terms of standard graphical presentations
and text manipulation including hypertext (with add-ons) and the learning
curve won't cause nosebleed.

Also, for those instructors and trainers out there, Word gets a better
reception for it's relative ease and its availability on most computers.

Ed Savitz sg94cshj -at- dunx1 -dot- ocs -dot- drexel -dot- edu