Re: HTML books

Subject: Re: HTML books
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- UBISERVER -dot- CHS -dot- MB -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:37:26 -0500

Sigrid Schoepel wrote to ask about HTML-related design and reference texts.

In general, I find that the Internet is a more useful source of for web-page
how-to information that any of the books available (and it's free). If you
haven't already, look up some of the web search engines and learn to use
them (e.g., <http:// www.yahoo.com/>).

As for web page design, my advice would be to spend some time surfing on the
Internet. Analyze what works and what doesn't. I find that different industries
have different styles.

For an HTML dictionary/reference, I recommend a web-site:
<http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/wilbur>
This Wilbur site is the single most useful HTML reference site I've found.

On the subject of Intranets:
By Intranet, I mean files written in HTML, viewable on Internet browsers,
but limited to people inside our company. I wouldn't presume to try to
define it for anyone else ;-)

For what it's worth, I work for a computer engineering company -- everyone is
very computer-oriented. I realize an Intranet isn't The Answer for all
companies. However, for us, it's working extremely well.

We've been putting all project documentation on the Intranet instead of
distributing paper. It allows us to provide links to additional information.
For example, I can link an item in a set of project meeting minutes to vendor
web pages, data sheets and related schematics. I also provide links between
requirements, associated work breakdowns and discussions of technical
issues.

As a Technical Writer, I find it very satisfying to be able to add a depth
information that would be difficult, if not impossible, to provide on paper.

Good luck and have fun with it...

Penny Staples
Documentation Manager
AirWire Mobile Technologies, Inc.