Re: Urrata, I Mean Errrata, Oops, I Mean . . . Oh, Just Ship It!

Subject: Re: Urrata, I Mean Errrata, Oops, I Mean . . . Oh, Just Ship It!
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:51:24 PDT

We once marked a VCC pin as GND in a pinout. We got the other 207
pins right, but that was neither here nor there. We hand-corrected
1500 data books in ink, lining out the error and writing the correct
designation beside it. We received no complaints.

Many kinds of binding can be taken apart without damaging the pages.
Velo-binding, GBC binding, spiral binding, and binders are among these.
GBC spines and binders can be reused, but spiral binding and velo binding
are generally damaged when removed, and have to be redone.

In desperation cases, printers can cut perfect-bound books just past
the glue line, allowing pages to be inserted and the book rebound,
hopefully without losing too much inside margin. I've never done
this.

Saddle-stitching can be unbound and replacement signatures added. The
book would have to be retrimmed after being rebound.

The main thing to keep in mind, though, is this: LET THE PRINTERS DO IT.
Printers have more skill at this sort of thing than the rest of us
can even dream of. Tell them about your problem and ask for their
help. Their suggestions are often extremely sneaky, and often are
quick and cheap. Print shops typically have people who work far
cheaper than anyone in a Tech Pubs department, and who are far more
deft at this sort of work. Printers often have to salvage their own
errors in order to meet deadlines. Since the cost of paper is the
largest item in a large press run, printers are very good at salvaging
the bulk of a document and working in changed pages.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139