AGEISM/45 PLUS

Subject: AGEISM/45 PLUS
From: Ian Lyall </G=Ian/S=Lyall/GQ=BB -at- TGA -dot- AUSGOVHHCS -dot- TELEMEMO -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:51:31 +1000

Apologies to list manager in advance for continuing this thread, but the
devil made
me do it.

Strategy 1 - Accept reality
May I humbly suggest that, if you stick with written or electronic
communications (letter, phone, fax, e-mail), AND not mention your age, it
should be possible to get freelance work. Avoid video - conferences of
course ;-)
I know older employees who have been dismissed and then hired back as
consultants, either full- or part-time. It is a nice way to phase in
retirement at your own pace.

Strategy 2 - Fight for your rights
In some countries, within government agencies and those industries dependent
on government funding, it is ILLEGAL to discriminate on the basis of gender,
race, creed, colour, physical or mental disability or AGE. In some cases
companies have been prevented from tendering for government contracts because
they do not conform with Equal Opportunity Laws or guidelines set by
governments.

An unemployed, older writer has plenty of time and talent to research the
legal aspects of discrimination based on age. There are always lawyers
willing to help - for a percentage of damages. Don't get mad, get going.

Strategy 3 - Get together
In Australia, compulsory retirement at sixty-five may soon be abolished. At
the same time, early retirement is being encouraged as a way of "down-sizing"
while offering increased promotion prospects for younger staff. These moves
have come about because of the "greying" of the population. The
"baby-boomers" are protecting themselves.

These are purely my own opinions, not those of my employer.

If you must, reply to <ian -dot- lyall -at- tga -dot- ausgovhhcs -dot- telememo -dot- au> not to the list.