Re: Ageism / over 45

Subject: Re: Ageism / over 45
From: Ian Lyall </G=Ian/S=Lyall/GQ=BB -at- TGA -dot- AUSGOVHHCS -dot- TELEMEMO -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:04:33 +1000

Apologies to list in advance for continuing this thread, but the devil made
me do it.

Can you tell how old I am from this message?

May I humbly suggest that, if you stick with written or electronic
communications (letter, phone, fax, e-mail), AND not mention your age, it
should be possible to, at least, get free-lance work. Avoid video -
conferencing of course ;-) Sometimes older employees have been dismissed and
then hired back as consultants.

I know that in some countries, within government agencies and those
industries dependent on government funding, it is ILLEGAL to discriminate on
the basis of gender, race, creed, colour, physical or mental disability or
AGE. In some cases companies have been prevented from tendering for
government contracts because they do not conform with Equal Opportunity
guidelines set by governments.

An unemployed writer has plenty of time (and skill) to pursue the legal
aspects of discrimination based on age and there are always lawyers willing
to help for a percentage of damages. Don't get mad, get going.