Re: Annotating Review Comments

Subject: Re: Annotating Review Comments
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 22:31:27 PDT

For god's sake, whatever you do, don't let the reviewers touch your
actual source files. You'll never undo the damage they cause.

As for annotations in general, Interleaf has a very nice system for
this sort of thing, with what amounts to post-it notes that are stuck
onto the margins of the electronic review copy. Each reviewer can
be assigned a different shade of post-it note, which will be used
automatically for all their comments. They can make both public comments
(visible to the other reviewers) and private ones (visible only to the
author). This allows people to comment on comments, which can be very
helpful.

I suspect that this might be an ideal way to maintain many kinds of
documents, where you would like the alleged facts to be accessible before
they are checked out, phrased properly, cross-referenced, indexed, and
published to the world.

I must admit, though, that I've only read the manual on this feature --
I haven't had a project in which to try it out.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139