Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 7 Oct 1996 to 8 Oct 1996

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 7 Oct 1996 to 8 Oct 1996
From: Marilyn O'Leary <moleary -at- LSUVM -dot- SNCC -dot- LSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 07:02:55 -0300

Beth, you wrote:

My boss just told me that the printing company messed up and printed our
manual covers for an upcoming release 1/4 inch too short on both sides (length
and width). Instead of asking the printing company to reprint the manual
covers, they want me to change the margins in the manual.

We use 7 x 8 1/2, which we usually docutech. The docutech folks trim from 8
1/2 x 11 anyway, so it's probably not a big deal to go to 6 3/4 x 8 1/4. But I
can't help feeling that the changing of the margins thing is a Bad (with a
capital B) idea.

I can't think of any specific reasons, it's just gut instinct. However, if
anyone has any reasons I can give my boss why I shouldn't change the margins...

This problem is hard to visualize but it doesn't seem like a "respect"
problem. Apparently, your boss thinks its more cost effective to make you
do the change than the printer. Therefore, how much time will it take to
change these margins in dollars (manipulation of diagrams etc)?
Alternately, do you have to change the margins or can the whole thing be
accommodated with less white space? Maybe you can turn this into something
new. Have a nice day. Don't let this get you down. Marilyn

Marilyn Barrett O'Leary
Louisiana Sea Grant College Program
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA
moleary -at- lsuvm -dot- sncc -dot- lsu -dot- edu