Re: How to price CBT?

Subject: Re: How to price CBT?
From: Jennie Achtemichuk <JennieA -at- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 03:30:13 UT

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996 13:58:51 EDT "Kim L. Shaw" <103205 -dot- 402 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
wrote: "Does anyone have experience with computer-based training? I'm
proposing a
project with a CBT component and have no idea how to charge for it.
Specifically I'm wondering how to estimate the scope of work (e.g., by hours),
how to price it, and the prevailing rates."

Traditional estimates for CBTs are usually around 200 hours per CBT hour
(versus 25-40 hours instructional design for each hour of instructor-led
training). However, I've heard in various places recently that improved tools
and OO-like approaches are bringing these numbers down, which is also my
experience. If you're starting from scratch and have a team with mixed
experience levels, I suggest starting with 200 hours as a minimum estimate.
And don't forget the expensive developer workstation and tools.

- Jennie Achtemichuk
Independent consultant, online instruction and information
Kirkland WA