Re: hot tech writing mkt -- don't focus on salary

Subject: Re: hot tech writing mkt -- don't focus on salary
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 10:48:00 PDT

I think it's great that our brothers and sisters in California are pushing
the salary envelope. I hope its another hot trend that we can import to
Oregon.

I would offer one piece of counsel, however. Under the 'pay me now or pay me
later' premise, don't fixate on the salary level. If the pay is
underwhelming, look for generous stock options in a company with a sane,
level-headed founder/CEO. If you are able to get in early and build a
top-notch writing team as the company grows, all the while hauling in
hundreds of shares at $1 to $5 per share, down the road you could wake up
one day with suddenly valuable shares in a publicly-traded company.

Plus, your resume will look great because you can now market yourself as
someone who knows how to grow. And as the inevitable fossilization of a big
company sets in, you can get back out there are find another startup and do
it all over again...

Garret Romaine
gromaine -at- radisys -dot- com