Re: Entry-Level Tech Writer Salaries

Subject: Re: Entry-Level Tech Writer Salaries
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 17:21:00 GMT

In article <199610021653 -dot- LAA18832 -at- mentor -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu>, Tina Wright
<wrightl3 -at- MENTOR -dot- CC -dot- PURDUE -dot- EDU> writes:
|> This salary discussion has me curious. I am graduating in May. I have (or
|> will have) dual degrees in MIS and Prof Writing and an internship under
|> my belt. I'm looking at staying in the Chicago area. First of all, do
|> I have a decent chnace at finding a job? Secondly, what type of salary
|> could I expect. I keep reading $25,000 everywhere, but the STC survey
|> quoted around $27,000 - $30,000.Any input?

Tina,

Here's some input, and you can take it FWIW. Don't worry as much about
how much you will make, especially at the entry level, as you do about
the quality of the position you will occupy. Look for the company that
appeals to you, treats employees with respect, and look for fair money.

Of course, the best is when you find a good position with a solid
company that treats you well for a relatively high salary. But it's not
a football game, and getting the most money doesn't necessarily mean you
"win". All other things being equal, of course, get as much as you can.
;-)

I've been paid a lot to work in miserable conditions (not in tech
writing, thankfully). If I had it to do over again, I would give up cash
for piece of mind and job stability with the right outfit.

It is overarchingly difficult, at times, to take a circumspect view, and
look at the long haul. If you fall into that trap at entry level, you
might always make great money, but never be happy. And that would be a
shame.

Good luck!
--
Len Olszewski My opinions; you go get your own.
saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com