Cookbook advice: help with Acrobat!

Subject: Cookbook advice: help with Acrobat!
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:00:49 -0500

With the help of the kind folks on the copyediting list,
I've started a small (well... we'll see) project: we're
putting together a cookbook entitled "Food for Thought"
that we plan to release into the public domain for use by
charities: they can sell the book to fund their operations.
We're targeting literacy organisations, but any charity
will do. (I expect a deluge of recipes, since there are
more than 1000 of us on the list, so I'm not asking for
recipes from techwr-l just yet. If we get a low response
rate, I'll surely get back to you!) The approach is
"charityware": if you download the book for personal use,
make a donation to a food bank or other charity; otherwise,
the revenues will fund charitable orgs. who publish the
book themselves.

My intention is to produce the cookbook in two formats: as
a PageMaker 5.0 file, and as an Acrobat PDF. Both will go
onto the Web, where they'll be available for downloading; a
limited number of diskette versions will be available for
those without Web access. My goal is to produce a simple
but attractive black and white (greyscale) design that a
low-budget organisation can print directly from a
laserprinter, no matter what software they have in-house;
that's the PDF option. I'm also making the Pagemaker file
available so that those with deeper pockets and more design
resources could customize the book (e.g., by adding color)
and go to offset printing via a service bureau.

Now I need your advice, _before_ I get heavily into
production. I'm comfortable with the PageMaker end of
things, but have never worked with Acrobat before. Given
that the source format is PageMaker, what advice can you
give me on making the project work right the first time,
and what pitfalls should I avoid? Two design issues in
particular: I'm planning to use Postscript rather than
Truetype fonts, and line art rather than clip photos.