Re: What's The Name of *#*

Subject: Re: What's The Name of *#*
From: Patricia Carmel/IL/3Com <Patricia_Carmel/IL/3Com%3COM -at- 3MAIL -dot- 3COM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:40:39 EDT

When I learned music, # meant 'sharp' as opposed 'flat', which was represented
by a sign that didn't make it to the keyboard. # is known as 'diez'

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU @ UGATE
cc:
From: hazelcb @ POLARIS.NET (hazel blumberg-mckee) @ UGATE
Date: Thursday September 26, 1996 08:49 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Nancy wrote:

>>HELP, and okay this might be cheating just a bit, but a resource is a
>resource!

>>In my Tech Editing class, we've been given the assignment to find out >the
correct name for the number sign or the pound sign (#). It's
>>*not* called the commercial sign anymore, I've been told.

>>For those of you who like nitpicky challenges, any ideas?

Octothorp.

Hazel Blumberg-McKee (hazelcb -at- polaris -dot- net)
freelance editor, indexer, proofreader, researcher, and writer

Hazel Blumberg-McKee (hazelcb -at- polaris -dot- net)
sign that your cat has learned your Internet password:
your mouse has fang marks in it . . . and a strange aroma of tuna