Re: Interviewing (Was: Re: What may new subscribers post?)

Subject: Re: Interviewing (Was: Re: What may new subscribers post?)
From: "Guy L. Pace" <pace -at- COOPEXT -dot- CAHE -dot- WSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 08:18:14 -0700

At 05:00 PM 9/23/96 -0700, Bill wrote:
>Guy says:

>>Interviewing techniques depend very much on what you are seeking.

>When I am interviewing someone for whatever purpose, and if my
>subject or I start to run out of gas, or if I just want to get more
>from the person, I find it useful to merely repeat the last thing he
>or she said. Don't ask anything. Just repeat.

When you are looking for detail, dumping the responsibility on the
interviewee is the most effective. May seem cruel, but the interviewee is
then tasked with saying something. Sometimes you get unexpected information
and the interview takes off in a different direction.

Regards: Guy L. Pace (pace -at- wsu -dot- edu)
Computer Support Analyst II
Washington State University
AMA#606009 DoD#0974
http://coopext.cahe.wsu.edu/~pace/

"My mind is my own church." Thomas Paine