ISO 9000

Subject: ISO 9000
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 21:52:01 +0100

Hello Rob,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Rob Miller an All am 23.09.96

RM> From: Rob Miller <Miller_Robert_C -at- 90 -dot- DEERE -dot- COM>

RM> In 1993, the company I worked for embarked on a major software
RM> (client
RM> server) development project and the initial documentation like
RM> the project plan was written to ISO standards.

if you "write [the above] to ISO standards", you could not mean ISO 9000. ISO
9000 is about how to work. There must be a quality handbook. There must be
lots of procedure descriptions. There will be lots of checklists and internal
documentation about who made what and when.

The connection between ISO 9000 and other standards might be that a ISO 9000
qualified company will have written procedures that tell you which standards
are to be observed at a specific task.

RM> This happened because one
RM> person was committed to the idea of meeting the ISO
RM> requirements.

This had to go downhill from the beginning. ISO 9000 certification is a thing
that must be started at the top and must be done through all of the hierarchy.
ISO 9000 puts the task in front and the hierarchy in the background.

ISO 9000 by itself says:

The purposes of this International Standard are

a) to clarify the distinctions and interrelationships among the principal
quality concepts [..], and

b) to provide guidelines for the selection and use of a series of
International Standards on quality systems that can be used for internal
quality management purposes (ISO 9004) and for external quality assurance
purposes (ISO 9001, ISO 9002 and ISO 9003) [...].

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)