Re: Obsession with University Degrees

Subject: Re: Obsession with University Degrees
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 06:56:10 EDT

I'd like to add my $.02 worth to Robert Plamondon's comment:

>As far as tech writing is concerned, the Big Three (sense of audience,
>writing ability, technical ability) rarely if ever show up in the same
>curriculum. Furthermore, there are multiple valid ways of approaching
>all of these three pivotal skills.

How about making it the Big Four so we can include indexing skills?
Unfortunately, I do not know of any Tech Comm degree program that includes an
indexing course in its curriculum. If I'm wrong about this, please let me know.
I'd love to know that some Tech Comm degree programs are correcting this
oversight.

BTW, I had an intern this Summer from the Tech Comm degree program at Metro
State College in Denver. Some of you may recall my posting last Spring, asking
for advice on working with an intern ... and I want to let you know that
Debbie's internship was an absolutely wonderful experience for both of us and
that she has become an invaluable assistant. She says that her internship with
me was the most valuable part of her degree program. I have two more interns
from Metro State this semester, and I'm hoping they'll feel the same way.

Happy indexing .... Lori
Lori Lathrop ---------->INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
Lathrop Media Services, P.O. Box 3065, Idaho Springs, CO 80452
Office: 303-567-4447, ext. 28 / Fax: 303-567-9306