Re: Obsession with University Degrees?

Subject: Re: Obsession with University Degrees?
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 09:05:58 -0700

At 04:57 PM 9/20/96 -0800, Tony Rocco wrote:
>Having an MA rather than just a BA/BS is meaningful in
>itself. It says that you are dedicated, goal oriented, achieving, and at
>least somewhat above-average in intelligence.

I agree generally, but I have worked with number of M.A.s who are real
numbskulls. My impression (which is, of course, skewed by the small sampling
of M.A.s I know) of M.A.s is not one of above-average intelligence but one
of above-average motivation. BTW, I am looking for a Master's program. After
nearly 20 years of working with technical publications, my motivation stems
from a longing to share what I know and learn even more about effective
written communication. I could care less about hanging another piece of
paper alongside my nearly worthless B.A. in math.

>Technical writing is a complex, evolving field, not a trade like carpentry,
>auto mechanics, or welding (not meaning to disparage any of these).

Be careful here. The trades are also complex, evolving fields. Tradeworkers
constantly work on advances in materials sciences, building and analysis
techniques, project management, customer communications, etc. You should
never imply that technical writing takes MORE skill or a BETTER person. It
only requires DIFFERENT skills acquired through different mechanisms.

Regards...Kris
kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
kjolberg -at- aol -dot- com
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
102031 -dot- 3556 -at- compuserve -dot- com
s -dot- othoudt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net