Obsession with University Degrees

Subject: Obsession with University Degrees
From: Michelle Nichols/VENTANA <Michelle_Nichols/VENTANA -dot- ITP -at- LGATE -dot- VMEDIA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 08:33:26 EDT

OK, someone has to speak up for the university degrees, right? <g>

While I agree, in principle, with everyone's thoughts so far, I think that
"obsession" is a rather strong word. Having a university degree, or two, is
not a *bad* thing.
I think that getting an education is a tough and tumble pursuit, and those who
achieve the degrees bring good qualities to a position: commitment,
perseverance, an active mind, and a certain work ethic. If an employer uses a
degree as a requirement, perhaps they are looking for these qualities in
addition to the experience.

Most positions I have seen require a degree or equivalent experience. I doubt
anyone would turn down a qualified person just because they don't have a piece
of paper hanging on their wall. (I have two, but I would bet that my past
experiences and enthusiasm for the position got me where I am today.)

I'll end this post with one of my favorite quotes that I think might be
appropriate for this discussion:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." --- Calvin Coolidge

TTFN,
Michelle Corbin Nichols