2-question survey RESULTS

Subject: 2-question survey RESULTS
From: Eric Haddock <eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 16:23:28 -0500

A few days ago I asked a couple questions:

> What style guide do you use (if it's a company style guide, do you know if
> it was based on any previously published style guide)?

and

> Are you edited by anyone on a regular basis like a dedicated editor or is it
> by peer review?

The results are:

Style guide: Corporate/proprietary/writer's own was the big winner,
clearly outnumbering Chicago, Microsoft, and Chicago-MS mixed. Some
respondants said that they have their own company's style guide, but use
Chicago to settle disputes. Only person said they use what I do (Gregg).

Editing: Peer review outnumbered dedicated editor almost 3 to 1. A lot of
respondants expressed a desire to have a dedicated editor however. In fact,
almost all of them want one.

The raw stuff....

Number of respondants indicating:

Company style guide: 16 (5 said they use Chicago to settle disputes)
Company but based on Chicago: 4
Company but based on Microsoft: 1
Chicago only: 5
Microsoft only: 2
Chicago/MS hybrid: 5
Other: 4
("other" being a guide specific to an industry)

Peer review: 30
Dedicated editor: 11

Not everyone answered both questions, so the number totals are uneven. :/

-- Eric (^_^)

/`-_ Eric Haddock ------ http://www2.corenet.net/moonlion
{ }/ Technical writer
\ | Engage Networks, Inc. ----- http://www.engagenet.com
\__*| located in the Historic Third Ward of Milwaukee, WI