Re: editor skills in writers

Subject: Re: editor skills in writers
From: "Bernard A. McCann" <bi975 -at- FREENET -dot- CARLETON -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 13:57:21 GMT

(kellyk -at- cyberoptics -dot- com) writes:
> What is the minimum editor skill set a technical writer should
> possess?

> What is an ideal (advanced) editor skill set for a writer?

> We're a small group of writers that peer review. We're trying to build
> certain skill sets into our descriptions of entry, mid, and senior
> level writers.

Sorry, but I only have time for a short response (I could write a book!).

Had this item been posted to a Tech. Editor group, then ... wow!

There will always be excellent technical writers who could never become
good editors, and vice versa. Therefore, you are going to lose good
technical writers with this plan of yours. If you believe that there isn't
enough work for a full-time editor (and that is suspect) then why not
consider a part-time editor?

> (No, we won't be hiring a dedicated editor in this century.)

Pity!

Bernie McCann bi975 -at- ncf -dot- carleton -dot- ca
Professional technical writing, remarkable translation, and
efficient turnkey management of engineering and scientific publishing.