Re: Ending a sentence with a preposition

Subject: Re: Ending a sentence with a preposition
From: Steven Connell <rand3 -at- HAVEN -dot- IOS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 12:26:09 -0700

I've seen many allusions to the "no preposition rule" in some general
newsgroups, with a quotation from Winston Churchill (quoting from memory
"this is the kind of arrant pedantry I'll never put up with").

I've been told that in Latin it's impossible to end a sentence with a
preposition, and that the no preposition rule came from Latin. Of
course, this could be an old grammarian's tale.

Steven Connell