What's a widow? -Reply

Subject: What's a widow? -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 16:37:56 -0700

I don't know if anyone went to the Microsoft Press Computer Dictionary
(2nd ed.) but it throws gasoline on the fire with the following:

Orphan. The first line of a paragraph printed alone at the bottom of
a page or column of text, or the last line of a paragraph printed
alone at the top of a page or column.

Widow. A single word, a portion of a word, or a few short words left
on a line by themselves at the end of a paragraph or column of type on
a page.

The word "orphan" does not come up when I check the index or do a
find on the online MS Manual of Style. When I did a find on "widow,"
I ended up in an article on indexing.

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com
San Diego, California

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-