Interesting thing from WORD-PC list re MS copyright of screen captures

Subject: Interesting thing from WORD-PC list re MS copyright of screen captures
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 12:43:52 HST

Found this on the WORD-PC discussion list, and got wondering. Probably most of
us software documentors us screen captures. Does anyone ask permission from the
vendor to use screen captures in our docs? Any expert opinions?

To: WORD-PC @ ufobi2.uni-forst.gwdg.de
Date: 09/09/96 12:27:31 AM
Subject: Re: Word Clipart...

Roz
I can't give you a definitive answer on this copyright issue. Here at the
University we wish to use screen shots of Microsoft applications for use in
our in-house training materials that we produce - the question of copyright
came up recently at a software metering seminar (organised by Microsoft)
that one of my colleagues attended. We have been advised that we should
apply to Microsoft for permission to use screen captures in our documents -
Microsoft have undertaken to reply (most likely in the positive) within ten
days. So my advice to you in light of this is that it's probably safer to
seek permission before use.