Re: Marketing control of documentation (Was: Reorganization Question)

Subject: Re: Marketing control of documentation (Was: Reorganization Question)
From: Chet Ensign <censign -at- INTERSERV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 06:40:59 -0700

Robert Plamondon said:
> In an ordinary company, with ordinary engineers with ordinary attitudes,
> Tech Pubs should be part of Marketing or (in some cases) Sales.

To which Dan Martillotti <danm -at- DEV -dot- TIVOLI -dot- COM> replied:
>I couldn't disagree more (sorry Robert).

The problem with having tech doc located in marketing is that it identifies
technical communication as a marketing function rather than a
knowledge-transfer function. Marketing has a responsibility to understand
customers, so their input is vital. But I think the critical functional role
t.c. fulfills is transfering critical product knowledge from the developers
who know it intimately to the users who don't. The proper place for this is
right in the heart of product development.

Best regards,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Logical Design Solutions