Menus as learning tools (was: Toolbars)

Subject: Menus as learning tools (was: Toolbars)
From: Jim Grey <jimgrey -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 08:45:00 EST

Sue Gallagher (sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM) said:
>And, oddly enough, those are the users that will seldom use the toolbar.
>See, toolbars take investigating (unless someone else tells you about
>them). The disinterested user will *usually *take the most obvious path
>to the finish line -- usually the menu to the dialog box. It's the advanced
>user who'll sprint to the finish using the toolbar.

I'd love to see the menus help users become more capable by giving them
clues about the toolbar, in the same manner the menu shows keyboard command
equivalents. For example, if your toolbar has an Open File button, place a
smaller version of that button's icon in the File menu next to the Open
command. Some users will make the connection and try the Open File button
-- especially when the tooltip confirms their hunch by cheerfully announcing
"Open file".

Peace,
jim
--
jim grey |"Ain't nothin' better in the world, you know
jimgrey -at- iquest -dot- net|Than lyin' in the sun, listenin' to the radio!"