Re: career advice...

Subject: Re: career advice...
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 13:10:06 GMT

In article <Pine -dot- SGI -dot- 3 -dot- 93 -dot- 960903225135 -dot- 3968A-100000 -at- world -dot- std -dot- com>, Gary Comins
<gcomins -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM> writes:
|> Can someone provide brief advice on how to obtain a position using my
|> writing, Pc and Internet skills?

[...Gary has...]

|> A good combination of skills and experience, but it rarely matches up with
|> a company's job listing. Many are verify specific, with a long shopping
|> list.
|>
|> Advice appreciated, in Northern MA.

Employers look for everything on their list, but they settle for less.
Remember that.

I always advise people to first pick a company for which they'd like to
work, then research what the company expects from their writers (or from
whatever position you'd like to take there). Once you know that, operate
from a checklist of your own, and become what the company wants.

If your time is short and you are running out of cash, work temporary or
contract. You can swing short term deals, the requirements (from the
standpoint of experience) are usually not as onerous as from firms
looking for a full timer (your performance counts for more, especially
speed), and you can recharge your basic skills while pumping up the
resume with a couple of quick kills. Some people find they *prefer*
contract work. Your call.

Working temporary or contract with knowledge of what your target company
wants is good - you can swing contracts that plug gaps in your history.
Working temporary or contract *for* your target company is primo - you
get to see what they need from the inside.

If you are having trouble getting contract work, consider relocating, or
working for less. Also, consider temporary work in related fields, like
apps testing, database admin, and so on. Where there's a will, as they
say.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
--
Len O. EXISTENTIAL SODA:
saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com Have young, drink fun, be Pepsi.