Re: Delete Icon question

Subject: Re: Delete Icon question
From: Alma Schipper <schippal -at- LIMS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 18:18:45 -0500

At 10:05 AM 9/3/96 EDT, Cheryl Kidder wrote:
>Our problem is that once data is deleted in our system, it is not
>recoverable. Because of this, we cannot use commonly accepted icons such as

>a trash receptacle because the trash receptacles used by Mac and Win95
>enable the user to recover the data. In our system, the user cannot recover

>data unless they restore from a backup.

Hmmm. I have to admit that I didn't think of this -- our software uses a
trashcan toolbar button, although the user cannot recover the data. I guess
it never occurred to me that something in a trash can might be recoverable.
You mention Mac and Win 95 -- is this also true of most Win 3.1 programs?

What say the rest of you? Can Cheryl use a trashcan, or should I change my
icon?

If the trash can is out, what would a "black hole" icon look like? :-)

-- Alma T. Schipper, Senior Technical Writer :-)
Today's vocabulary term: HASTE CUISINE -- Fast French food
schippal -at- lims -dot- com (518) 274-1990, ext. 165
Laboratory MicroSystems, Inc., Troy, NY USA (but speaking on my own...)