Delete Icon question

Subject: Delete Icon question
From: Cheryl Kidder <chekid -at- SYMIX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 10:05:00 EDT

Hi All:

I'm forwarding this question for a team member. Thanks in advance for any
advice.

Our application has a Delete function on the screens used throughout the
system. For ease of use, we are looking for ways to maintain this function
at the screen level. We are thinking of placing Delete on the toolbar along

with other common functions such as Open, Save, Undo, and Find.

Our problem is that once data is deleted in our system, it is not
recoverable. Because of this, we cannot use commonly accepted icons such as

a trash receptacle because the trash receptacles used by Mac and Win95
enable the user to recover the data. In our system, the user cannot recover

data unless they restore from a backup.

We are wondering if anyone else has run into this situation. If so, were
you able to come up with an icon that implies delete w/out recovery? Any
ideas or guidance is appreciated.

Cheryl D. Kidder
Senior Information Developer
Symix, Inc.