What makes a good Tech Writer

Subject: What makes a good Tech Writer
From: Henry Crews-AHC001 <Henry_Crews-AHC001 -at- EMAIL -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:18:10 -0500

Recently there has been a few postings about learning editing and writing by
teaching them. In the postings there were comments on good tech.
writers-vs-bad tech. writers. Some of the comments seemed a little
self-righteous, but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I was wondering what you all feel makes a good tech. writer. Is it
a good knowledge of the technical end of writing, ie. grammer and
punctuation? (frankly there seems to be a lot of debate on the list about
what is correct and what is not) Or, is it being able to communicate what
you want to say in a simple and understandable manner? (so you violate a
long standing rule of grammer, as long as the point gets across, right) Or,
is it somewhere in between?
Thanks,
Henry Crews
AHC001 -at- email -dot- mot -dot- com